Immigration to Canada for Home Daycare Providers

Immigration Law
Reading Time: 9 minutes
Immigration to Canada for Home Daycare Providers

Do you enjoy spending time with children, or do you have your own children? Are you currently in Canada and have the right to work? Are you planning to immigrate to Canada and get permanent resident status (PR)? If you answered “yes” to all these questions, you are in the right place! The Home Child Care Provider Pilot offers home daycare providers and caregivers a unique opportunity to immigrate to Canada, build a successful career, and secure permanent residency. The law firm MBLAW has prepared a detailed guide for you, which will take you through all the steps of the process: from understanding the work experience in home daycare to discussing the specifics of the Home Child Care Provider Pilot immigration program. Stay with us to learn how you can make your dreams come true!

Overview of the Home Child Care Provider Pilot Program

Canada is a country that values the importance of providing quality childcare. To meet the growing demand for qualified early childhood development specialists, the government has introduced the Home Child Care Provider Pilot. This program provides foreign citizens with a great opportunity to find their place in the Canadian job market.

Please note, that the Home Child Care Provider Pilot is a federal program, which means you can live and work in any province of Canada (except Quebec).

In this article, we discuss the stream where the candidate is already in Canada and has a work permit that will be valid for at least the next 2 years. They are ready to open their own home daycare (or have already done so), work in a home daycare, and get at least 1 year of work experience as a home daycare provider.

The Home Child Care Provider Pilot should not be confused with the Home Support Worker Pilot, which is a similar program designed for those providing home support to the elderly, people with disabilities, and other individuals.

You can read more about the program and its conditions on the official website of the Ministry of Immigration (IRCC).

So, if you dream of a career where you can make a significant impact on the lives of children while securing your future in Canada, stay with us, and let us begin discussing the details.

Advantages of the Home Child Care Provider Pilot Program

It is important to highlight that the Home Child Care Provider Pilot program is an excellent option for candidates who want to work with preschool children or have young children. Let us look at the advantages of the program:

  • You should consider this program if you have education and/or work experience in the field of child care and early childhood development, education, extra education, and child upbringing.
  • This is also a great opportunity for mothers on maternity leave who want to spend all their time with their children and are ready to take care of their neighbors’ children.
  • Considering the shortage of caregivers and home daycares in Canada, especially in some regions, you will not have difficulties gaining the necessary work experience if you already have the right to work in the country.
  • The language requirements for English and/or French are minimal.
  • The requirements for education, work experience, and eligibility are quite simple.
  • The program does not have age or financial requirements for candidates.
  • If you open your home daycare, you can conduct educational and childcare work in any language, for example, Russian or Ukrainian, or in Canada’s official languages – English or French. Considering Canada’s multiculturalism and parents’ desire to introduce their children to their country of origin’s culture and maintain the language, there is a demand for daycares with various languages of communication.

Thus, the requirements for candidates for PR under the Home Child Care Provider Pilot program are simple, transparent, and achievable. Even if you are not currently working in a daycare but are interested in working with children at home, we recommend that you familiarize yourself with the program’s conditions. Perhaps the Home Child Care Provider Pilot will become your best way to immigrate to Canada.

Criteria for Participation in the Program

To become a home daycare provider and be eligible for permanent residency (PR) under the Home Child Care Provider Pilot program, you must meet certain criteria set by the Canadian government:

Work Experience in Home Daycare

One of the critically important components of your application under the Home Child Care Provider Pilot program is proving your work experience in the field of child care. Canadian immigration authorities place great importance on practical experience, understanding that it often demonstrates your ability to perform your job effectively. Here is a detailed overview of what this requirement includes:

  • National Occupational Classification (NOC): Your work experience must be relevant to the role for which you are applying. The Home Child Care Provider Pilot program requires your work experience to align with NOC 44100 – Home Child Care Provider. This classification includes child care on a permanent or short-term basis in your own home or in the provider’s home. Remember, your experience must be gained specifically in a home daycare. A daycare at a school or a daycare organization does not qualify for this program. You can be a self-employed provider of your own home daycare or work as a hired caregiver in a home daycare.
  • Full-Time Work: To be recognized, your experience must be gained through full-time work. This means you must have worked at least 30 hours per week for a total of 12 months within the 36 months before submitting your application. It is important to note that the 12 months of experience do not need to be continuous. Work experience is calculated weekly, so you must work 52 weeks. If in any week you worked less than 30 hours, that week will not be counted. Therefore, you need to accumulate 52 weeks of 30 hours or more each within the last 3 years before applying for immigration to Canada.
  • Relevant Experience: Your work experience must be relevant to the role you are applying for. The Home Child Care Provider Pilot program requires that your work experience align with NOC 44100 – Home Child Care Provider. This classification includes child care on a permanent or short-term basis in your own home or in the children’s homes. Remember, your experience must be gained specifically in a home daycare. A daycare at a school or a daycare organization does not qualify for this program.
  • What Experience Will Not Be Counted: It is important to know that not all types of work experience will be considered under this requirement. For example, experience as a foster parent is not counted under this program. Similarly, any work experience gained while you were studying full-time will not be recognized. Volunteer experience is also not counted; your work must be paid.
  • 36-Month Period Condition: The work experience must be gained within the 36 months before submitting your application. This condition ensures that your skills are current and you are familiar with modern childcare methods.

Language Proficiency

Another important requirement for participation in the Home Child Care Provider Pilot program is proficiency in Canada’s official languages. This aspect is crucial not only for your professional interactions but also for your everyday life in Canada. Here is what you need to know about the language proficiency requirements:

  • Proficiency in English or French: Canada has two official languages: English and French. You will need to demonstrate proficiency in one of these languages.
  • Language Proficiency Assessment: Canadian immigration authorities use standardized testing systems to assess language proficiency. For English, the Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB) are used, while for French, the Niveaux de compétence linguistique canadien (NCLC) are used.
  • Minimum Language Proficiency Level: For the Home Child Care Provider Pilot program, the minimum required language proficiency level is CLB 5 for English or NCLC 5 for French. This requirement applies to all four language skills: writing, reading, listening, and speaking.
  • Taking a Language Test: To confirm your language proficiency, you will need to take a language test approved by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). These include IELTS General, PTE Core, or CELPIP-G for English, and TEF Canada or TCF Canada for French. Your test results must be included in your application. Your test results must be no older than 2 years at the time of application.

Education Requirements

  • Level of Education: A key requirement of the program is obtaining a post-secondary educational qualification of at least one year. This qualification can include diplomas, degrees, or certificates from a university, college, trade, technical school, or other educational institutions above the high school level. The education must be completed! The program does not require a specific profession, meaning you do not have to be a teacher or educator according to your diploma, but having a relevant education will certainly help you in working with children.
  • Assessment of Foreign Educational Qualifications: If you do not have a Canadian diploma, do not worry! Canadian immigration authorities recognize foreign education. However, to ensure that your foreign education meets Canadian standards, you will need to have your qualifications assessed. You will need to submit your documents to an organization approved by IRCC for an evaluation of your foreign educational qualifications. This evaluation (often called an Educational Credential Assessment or ECA) will confirm that your foreign diploma, certificate (or other proof of your qualification) is valid and equivalent to a completed qualification in Canada.

Eligibility for Immigration to Canada

You must be eligible to immigrate to Canada. This means you must not have serious medical or criminal issues that could make you inadmissible.

Planning to Live Outside of Quebec

The Home Child Care Provider Pilot program does not apply to residents of the province of Quebec. Therefore, when you apply, you need to plan to live outside of Quebec.

Understanding these eligibility criteria is critically important as they form the foundation for your path to obtaining permanent resident (PR) status in Canada.

How to Open a Home Daycare in Ontario

As we discussed earlier, you can gain work experience as a provider or caregiver in home daycare in any province in Canada, except Quebec. Today, we will explore the possibility of opening your own home daycare in the province of Ontario.

Starting a home daycare in Ontario is a great decision that not only allows you to become self-employed but also contributes positively to your community by offering a valuable service to families. Running a home daycare enables you to balance work and family life while providing essential developmental foundations for the children in your care.


Our partner, Better Than Home, is dedicated to helping future home daycare providers create a successful business. Let us look at the steps to launching a licensed or unlicensed home daycare in Ontario:

Licensed Home Daycare

Licensed daycares meet strict requirements set by the province of Ontario, ensuring high standards of care. In a licensed home daycare, you can care for up to six children. Obtaining a license also allows you to participate in the CWELCC program, which reduces costs for parents by more than 50%. This amount is compensated to the provider by the province of Ontario. This financial support can make your daycare more affordable for families, increasing your potential client base.

Additionally, having a license allows you to accept subsidies for low-income families, making your services accessible to more parents. Although the licensing process may be more complex, Better Than Home will assist you every step of the way.

Unlicensed Home Daycare

Starting an unlicensed home daycare is a simpler process. You can care for up to five children without the need for a license. Even though your daycare is unlicensed, you are still expected to create a safe and nurturing environment that promotes child development.

While an unlicensed daycare does not offer the same financial support as a licensed one, Better Than Home can provide you with advice, document packages, development programs, and more to ensure your daycare maintains high standards of quality.

Starting a home daycare, whether licensed or unlicensed, is a fantastic opportunity for foreign educators, teachers, women on maternity leave, or anyone passionate about caring for children and ready to learn a new profession.

How MBLAW Can Help You

Starting your journey as a home daycare provider in Canada requires knowledge of immigration criteria and regulations. This process may seem complex, but you are not alone. An experienced immigration lawyer can provide invaluable support and guidance throughout your journey.

Understanding the Immigration Process

Immigration law can be complicated, and understanding the nuances of the Home Child Care Provider Pilot program requires specialized knowledge. An immigration lawyer will help you understand the application process and all its requirements, ensuring you are fully prepared to meet all the IRCC requirements.

Considering Your Unique Situation

Every applicant’s situation is different, and a one-size-fits-all approach does not work. An immigration lawyer can provide advice tailored to your specific situation, increasing your chances of a successful application.

Preparing and Reviewing Your Application

An immigration lawyer will help you prepare your application, ensuring that all necessary documents are in order and submitted according to requirements for completeness, accuracy, and timeliness. They can also review your application before submission, identifying and correcting any potential issues that could cause delays or denials.

Keeping Up with Immigration Laws

Immigration policies and laws can change frequently. An immigration lawyer stays up to date with these changes, ensuring that your application complies with the most current rules and regulations.

Legal Representation

If legal issues arise during your immigration process, having an immigration lawyer can be invaluable. They can represent your interests and help resolve these issues.

Are you ready to take the first step toward opening a home daycare in Canada? Contact us! MBLAW is committed to supporting you at every stage of your immigration journey. If you want to make a positive impact on children’s lives and build an exciting and profitable future in Canada, contact us today and let’s make your dreams a reality!

Home Child Care Provider Pilot Program, Immigrate to Canada, Immigration Lawyer, Immigration Programs

The Content is current as of its original date of publication, but should not be relied upon as accurate, timely or fit for any particular purpose. Content is provided solely for informational purposes. It is not intended to be legal or other professional advice or an opinion of any kind. You are advised to seek specific legal advice by contacting members of MBLAW (or your own legal counsel) in relation to your specific legal issues.

Related Articles

Immigration to Canada for Creative and Sports Self-Employed Professionals

Immigration to Canada for Creative and Sports Self-Employed Professionals

Immigration Law
Canada, a nation celebrated for its multiculturalism and welcoming environment, has one of the most structured and comprehensive immigration systems in the world. Each year, mane individuals and families venture to Canada,…

MBLAW Introduces New Express Immigration Consultation Service in Russian

MBLAW is excited to announce the launch of a new and exclusive service that will help you take the first step toward your immigration journey. We are offering a express immigration consultation…